Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Be careful what you teach

Max and I worked on saying 'I don't know.' I picked out various items that he is familiar with and one item that he doesn't know. I then asked: 'What's this?,' holding one of them up. He answered all correctly and when we got to the unknown item I taught him to answer: 'I don't know." We did this a couple of times and eventually he got it.

The goal is then for this new skill to generalize: for him to start saying 'I don't know' on his own in other situations.

Well, he did.

The next day or so, it was time for a lesson. He hates lessons, but we usually manage to do a short one.

I started the lesson and when it was his turn to give me the answer, guess what he said?: 'I don't know!' and then continued to repeat that same answer to every question I asked. Big smile on his face. He got me, I knew he knew the answers, but he used his new skill against me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment